Wednesday, July 20, 2011

000 Cardboard & Duct tape 000

Who needs a "Handyman" when you have a mother like mine. I'd like to introduce to you all Mrs Cardboard & Duct tape Queen!! My mother knows every in and out to fixing something if it happens to fall apart. Well of course when money is tight I understand things either go broken or you learn to compromise on the actual look of the repair; but cardboard? duct tape? Yes indeedy my mother should have bought stock in those two items 30 years ago because she has definitely been one to soar that stock market. I'm impressed each time I watch this lady work on a repair, her details, her measurements her precise laying of the duct tape at an angle. Sounds crazy but you ought to see it.

Heres an example of one of her projects:
I remember discussing an issue with my mother about the kids playing with play dough. Now I'm a mother all for kids developmental learning activities and play but I'm also a mother that wants to clean up the mess once my child is finished. So I was telling my mother I wanted to buy a play mate for when my kids want to play paint or play dough, as I was visiting with her one day with the kids. Well Ohhhh Myyyy was that the wrong thing to say cause out of one of the 30 tubs of yard sale goodies, freebies and items people have given her or she had purchased she exclaims "I've got just the thing". She pulls out sticky wall paper, her infamous cardboard and duct tape. All the while I'm sitting here thinking "Seriously mom, seriously". First she fights with this large refrigerator box (looking at though shes a fighter for the WCW) cutting out the perfect size for the mat. She then measures the sticky wall paper to fit perfectly over this cardboard and flips it over duct taping the excess to the back for a better hold. All in about 30 minutes she has this perfect play activity mat for the kids and says "Waaallllaaa!!" I had to agree it was pretty cool. But theres more to this addiction of these two products for Mrs Queen herself. Because throughout my 30 years I've watched my mother fix windows, floors, shoes, a leaky faucet, clothes and many many other items. Never mention to my mother that something is broke because she will find a way to fix it with cardboard and duct tape. I did however call my mother one day and say "Hey mom, I have a flat tire." haha There was no reply.....

My mother is a lady of great stories, wonderful writings and a gift of making others feel better with just a listening ear and perfect words of wisdom. A woman that has conquered heartache and successfully provided a loving environment for her kids to grow up in. There is nothing in this world that my mother would not try to fix if I asked her too; even if it meant without her prized cardboard and duct tape.

                    ......Until Tomorrow........................


                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment