Monday, July 4, 2011

Just a fun fact

My mother and I are best friends, as I have stated, so we do alot of things together. We love going to yard sales, flea markets, lil thrift stores and finding (what we believe to be) the prize of the day. Well along with our shopping spree bonanza we possess a special connection, so to speak, with one another. We know what the other is thinking, feeling and wanting to say by just one action. I would have to say we have perfected this superpower gift we have been given which remains pretty much invisible to those around us. As mother and daughter we have an unbelievable eye stare. So what is this eye stare you ask? Well let me introduce you to some never publicly told before encounters of a two pair duo making their mark on this world.
Have you ever been in a grocery line holding only a bottle of ketchup while the person in front of you shopped as though they were just introduced to food? My mother and I stand there patiently hoping this wonderful, delightful lady will motion us to go before her since we have one item. An eye stare is exchanged between my mother and I. It's the eyebrows raised, eyeballs roll to one side kinda look which says, "Ohhh please nice lady let us go, we only have ketchup". But wouldn't you know it, the lady does not care we are behind her and begins her long journey of unloading her food cart onto the conveyor belt of pricing. I then eye stare my mother back with my eyes wide open and this time they are saying, "I have never in my life, I can not believe this lady!!!" 
It's the exchange of conversation between mother and I yet we never have to say a word. It comes in very handy and keeps us from having to whisper in tight spots when your just dying to say something. I know we've all been there stuck in a moment of eternity when your just about to lose it yet you don't.
I remember another encounter, as I stroll down memory lane, of my mother defending her grandson. Well before I begin this story let me just say you never come between a grandma and her grand baby. (haha) My son was looking at a toy and yes we were at a thrift store. My son had not even picked up the toy but my mother seen him looking at it and responded with "Baby you want mamaw to buy you that toy?" Of course my son responds "Yes." My mother then picks up the toy overlooking it and tells my son it's broke to look for something else. We continue our thrift shopping; spending a whole twenty dollars total between us and head out the door. The owner of this establishment runs out to my car as I'm starting my engine and pecks on my mothers window. He's yelling something we could not understand due to the air conditioner being on. Before my mother rolls down her window she looks at me with the defensive eye stare. This one is a bit different because it's like a mother bear protecting her young and I don't know about you but I wouldn't mess with a momma bear. Her eyes were so wide that involuntarily her eyelids were flexing up and down. I stared back at her yet fearing for this man as she rolled the window down. He yells, "Your kid broke this toy and you all have to buy it!!!!" My mother yells, "That KID is my GRANDSON and it was already broken or I would have bought it!!!" He says, "Well if neither of you will pay for it then I'll just have to ban you from my store!!!" My mother says, "Fine!!" Then we drove off. Well not a word was said as we drove down the road a few miles until I stated "Well you gave him eye stare didn't you??" As we both laughed. And even today we get tickled when telling people we were thrown out of a thrift store.
It's funny how I notice many people around the world using the eye stare on their children. You know you've seen it. A child is acting up and you see the parent give them the "If you don't stop look I'm taking you to the bathroom" kinda stare. The child usually doesn't care, or will shout "Stop looking at me like that" so loudly, that now everyone is looking at the parent just to view this look the child is screaming about.
My mother and I have stories upon stories of eye stare quests we have shared. It's a fun lil tradition for us to share our adventurous stories with our family of fun 'eye stare' outings. We all get a giggle out of hearing them even if it's stories we've shared before.  After many years of perfecting our social unspoken connection with each other we have captured many memories of laughter, joy, tears and smiles that no one can ever erase. It's all been out of fun and something only my mother and I share which makes it priceless. We take each moment we spend together and make it meaningful because life is too short.
But I have to end this by saying there is one disadvantage to the infamous "eye stare". During my adolescent years I had the master of eye stares as a mother and she ALWAYS knew what I was thinking. ~~~Smile~~~


..........Until Tomorrow...................

2 comments:

  1. lol. love this! Yes, I am a mother of two and I always do that to me kids too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... Yea I think we all do but it doesn't always work as we all know... *smile*

    ReplyDelete